A fresh approach to the venerable giveaway calendar may help your
Giveaway calendars are one of the oldest promotional ideas around, but
done right, they can look fresh. Here, some tips on calendar design from
the magazine Dynamic Graphics.
- Create an expensive-looking thank-you gift for customers. Buy picture
frames and insert your own calendar pages.
- Consider printing processes such as engraving, die-cutting and foil
stamping. Use them judiciously and they may not cost as much as you think.
- Design your calendars around a theme you can carry from year to year
to plant you and the calendars in your customers' minds.
- Go beyond the traditional hanging calendar. Bleed photos across gutters
and superimpose grids on photos or sketches for interesting effects.
- Think 3-D. Pop-up, fold-over tents or sit-on-the-desk cylinder calendars
are all attention-getters. If it requires assembly, always provide instructions.
- Incorporate into your design graphic elements from your ads, store
interior and/or packaging to underline your identity.
- If you create your calendars yourself, look into calendar-creating
software such as Calendar Creator 5.0 for IBM compatibles ($60, 800-227-5609)
or CalendarMaker for Macintosh ($60, 800-346-5392).
by Stacey King
Copyright © 1999 by Bond Communications.