Tips for an effective TV performance
Starring in your own TV commercial is a great way to build
your brand and promote recognition in the community. You don't
have to give an Oscar-caliber performance, but it's important
to be aware of how you appear on camera. AVP Digital Studios
of Dixon, IL, gives the following tips for video and TV appearances:
- Don't wear eyeglasses, especially if they have metal frames
or thick rims, which reflect light and cast shadows.
- Men should wear dark, monotone suits and women should choose
neutral colors or clothing with tiny patterns. Avoid plaids,
stripes and bright red outfits.
- Emphasize your facial expressions, exaggerating about 15%
more than normal. Smile!
Make hand gestures in the triangle from the bottom of your chin
to your lower chest and between your shoulders, but don't make
random gestures that could be misunderstood.
- Vary the pitch and intensity of your voice when you speak,
use dramatic pauses and talk informally.
- Memorize at least some of the script so you don't read from
the teleprompter the entire time.
- AVP Digital Studios, Dixon, IL; (815) 284-3904.
by Stacey King
Copyright © 1999 by Bond Communications.