Precious Metals & Bench: New Products
Tops of the Tables
Consumers want items that last a lifetime or longer
The retail sterling silver flatware market was estimated at
$251 million in 1997, with growth attributed largely to high priced
lines bought by status conscious consumers. The sale of
sterling gift items reached almost $321 million that same year.
Results for 1998 aren't available yet from the Silver Information
Center, New York City, but they are expected to show continued
The top sterling gift giving occasions are Christmas,
Hanukkah, weddings, christenings, birthdays and Mother's and
Father's Days. The fastest growing category is picture frames,
followed by tabletops, says SIC. However, the categories with
the biggest growth are accessories, baby gifts and entertainmentrelated
items. These gifts are not limited to silver creations
gold also makes a stunning statement when used to make decorative
boxes, picture frames and other decorative items.
Diana Shiel, public relations director of SIC, expects the following
trends will gain momentum this holiday season and next spring:
- Flatware is getting larger. These larger pieces often are
referred to as Continental, European or dinner size place
- Unusual serving pieces are hot items, including jelly, sugar
or tea spoons, as well as cheese knives and asparagus tongs.
- Mixing contemporary pieces with antique and period pieces
is in vogue. Manufacturers report strong demand for vases and
pitchers, which often are more expensive but sell because they
are decorative and useful.
- Popular collectibles range from ornaments to animal replicas,
key rings, bottle stoppers, pill boxes and antique replica novelties.
- Home office accessories comprise a growth category. As more
people work from home, pens, letter openers, frames and book
clips in precious metals create a professional environment.
- There is a strong Asian influence evident in the use of bamboo
mixed with silver or imitated in precious metal. Tiffany &
Co.'s bamboo flatware pattern shares design cues with its bamboo
Set a romantic table for two in your store to show how beautiful
silver can be in the home. For added interest, place small gift
accessories (such as a pill box) on the table or rest a bottle
of wine on a sterling silver coaster topped with an ornate wine
cork. Invite your customers to sit at the table so they can experience
sitting in front of such elegance.
by Lorraine M. Suermann
Geometric napkin rings are by Patricia Von Musulin; beetle
napkin ring is by Dean Thaxter.
- Patricia Von Musulin, New York
City; (212) 206 9345, fax (212) 627 7216.
- Dean Thaxter, New York City; (212)683 0170.
|New England Sterling line of men's .925 sterling
silver accessories includes a handcrafted shaving brush and razor.
New England Sterling, North Attleboro, MA; (800) 447 5552.
Casually displayed sterling silver picture frames fill rooms
with silvery accents. From left:
- Buccellati, East Longmeadow, MA; (800) 223 7885 or (413)
525 4800, fax (413) 525 8877.
- Wallace, East Boston, MA; (617) 561 2200, fax (617)
- Lunt Silversmiths, Greenfield, MA; (413) 774 2774, fax
(413) 774 4393.
- John Hardy Collection, New York City; (212) 696 9292,
fax (212) 213 5494.
|Sterling silver candlesticks from the Classic
Collection sell for $695 each. Sterling silver Drottningholm
vase retails for $1,495.
Gense America, New York City; (888) 368 4360 or (212) 725 2882,
fax (212) 725 1711, www.gense.com.
||Money clips and key rings crafted in sterling
silver feature 14k gold accents. Suggested retail, $75. Leonore
Doskow Inc., Montrose, NY; (800) 431 2302 or (914) 737 1335.
|18k gold picture frames are from the Memories
collection. Fope Gioielli, New York City; (212) 869 4111,
fax (212) 869 0486.
Miniature sterling silver boxes are popular collectibles
and gifts for all occasions.
- Crab and turtle boxes. Buccellati, East
Longmeadow, MA; (800) 223 7885 or (413) 525 4800, fax
(413) 525 8877.
- Shell box. Cazenovia, Cazenovia, NY; (315) 655 3433.
- Engraved grid pattern box. Charles Thomae & Son,
Attleboro, MA; (800) 966 8466, fax (508) 226 7314.
Along with trappings such as cocktail accessories and hors
d'oeuvre servers, sterling silver accessories for the wine connoisseur
are the latest must have collectibles.
- Frog wine cork. J. Reed & Sons, Long Island City, NY;
(718) 392 5700, fax (718) 786 1008.
- Drip catcher, cork screw and grape shears. Georg Jensen,
New York City; (212) 685 9060, fax (212) 685 7995.
- Cooler and bottle coaster. Buccellati, East Longmeadow, MA;
7885 or (413) 525 4800, fax (413) 525 8877.
- Ant wine bottle stopper. Trudy Sigiura, Princeton, NJ; (609)
683 7831, fax (609) 255 2911.
||24k gold overlaid engravable money clips with
French hinged back offer security. Lifetime guarantee. Suggested
retail,$40 $45. Kelly Waters Inc., Boston, MA; (800) 647 7017,
fax (877) 282 4103.
Copyright © 1999 by Bond Communications.