Professional Bench/The Path to Proficiency
Colored spray reveals high spots that require further work
Did you ever wish there was some way to be sure the seat you prepared for a gemstone was the proper fit? Jeffrey Mathews received this proficiency tip from an audience member at a recent JA Masters in Motion event. It involves Seat Check, a bright green powder spray that is easy to apply, works efficiently with all gemstones and metals and, when used properly, reveals high spots on seats or bearings for gems.
Take a Powder
Steps for the use of disclosure powder:
- Bur a seat for a gemstone that will be set in prongs, bezels, channels or another application.
- Spray the area where the gem will be set with Seat Check disclosure powder from Rio Grande.
- Place the gem in the seat and wiggle it slightly.
- This motion removes the powder from high spots the gemstone touches, revealing areas where you must remove more metal.
- Seat Check can be removed using an ultrasonic or spray from a steam cleaner.
For more information on Seat Check, visit www.riogrande.com. For more information about JAs Bench Jeweler Certification visit www.jewelers.org/ja_member/certification.html or call (800) 223-0673.
by Mark B. Mann, Director of Trade Programs, Jewelers of America®
Featured Application by Jeffrey Mathews
JA Certified Master Bench Jeweler
Jeffrey Mathews Designs, Dallas, TX
Photographs courtesy of Jewelers of America
© 2001 Jewelers of America