March 27, 2000
Oscar Piles It On
Huge, glorious neckwear, sexy dangling earrings and piles of bangles marked the 72nd Academy Awards ceremony on Sunday evening. Missing in action or at least hard to see were the demure diamond and pearl ensembles which dominated awards ceremonies for the past five years. Actresses chose chunky beaded creations, masses of colored gemstones in all colors and, when diamonds did appear, they were in big, antique-inspired settings that rivaled those worn by grande dames in the Gilded Age.
- Drew Barrymore wore a luscious green beaded torsade.
- Best Actress winner Hilary Swank was regal in a huge antique-inspired necklace with triangular stations that set off her simple gown and hair.
- Fashion barracuda Joan Rivers wore a huge, chunky beaded necklace.
- Model and ABC pre-show commentator Tyra Banks wore a large yellow diamond ring.
- Last year's Best Actress Winner Gwyneth Paltrow wore a red beaded necklace that snaked down into her cleavage.
- Charlize Theron wore a fashion-forward orange gown, but went retro with '30s-style matching brooch clips on the gown's straps.
- Among the chandelier earring set were Nicole Kidman, ABC host Meredith Viera and Best Actress nominee Meryl Streep. Other women favored more simple drop earrings - but they still dangled.
- Lots of multiple bracelets appeared on lovely slim wrists, and several actresses wore upper arm bangles.
- Brooches were much in evidence, at least on women who weren't sporting cleavage.
- by Peggy Jo Donahue