|February 14, 2003
New York Fashion World Embraces Diamonds, Pearls
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, taking place in New York City, is replete with diamonds and pearls, report trade organizations that promote these jewelry staples.
Among the designers using diamonds, according to the Diamond Information Center:
- Narciso Rodriguez, 2002s Womenswear Designer of the Year, revealed his new diamond designs.
- Carmen Marc Valvo paraded large, fancy-shaped diamonds from Vivid Collection.
- Alvin Valley accessorized with diamond jewelry crafted from multi-carat oval-shaped diamonds by Rita Watnick for Lily et Cie.
- Monique Lhuillier, celebrated for her bridal designs, debuted her evening collection with ropes of diamonds by the yard and fancy-shaped diamond cocktail rings from Martin Katz.
- Fusha Designs by Marie Claudinette Pierre-Jean collaborated with renowned King of Bling Jacob the Jeweler.
- Badgley Mischka, having a 1920's flashback, used one-of-a-kind Art Deco pieces from Stephen Russell, including diamond chandelier-style earrings and cocktail rings with big marquise-shaped diamonds.
- Prounza Schouler partnered with Fred Leighton and the designers say they were inspired by the concept of diamonds "that have been passed along from generation to generation, so that they are considered part of the family."
- Sean John launched his womens collection with diamond pendants, cuffs and cocktail rings, also from Fred Leighton.
- Cynthia Steffe again showcased Elara brand diamond-and-platinum pieces to augment her collection's dramatic sophistication.
Among designers using Tahitian cultured pearls, often supplied by Perles de Tahiti, the promotion group for Tahitian cultured pearls, were:
- Mark Montano, whose clothes were decorated with designer pearl pieces, strands and single pearl earrings.
- Arkadius, a Polish designer, who partnered with Stephen Webster using Webster's Tahitian pearl jewelry.
- Anand Jon, who partnered with Perles de Tahiti to co-sponsor the designer's Feb. 12 show and accessorize it with Tahitian pearl jewelry.